Oncology is that branch of medicine which deals with the prevention, diagnosis, and other treatments of cancer. Cancer is a group of diseases that involves abnormal cell growth with the potential to invade or spread to the other parts of the body. Possible signs and symptoms of cancer include a lump, abnormal bleeding, prolonged cough, unexplained weight loss, and a change in bowel movements. Due to the improvement in oncology, cancer survival has also improved due to the three main components, improved prevention efforts to reduce the exposure to risk factors, improved screening of several cancers, and improvements in the treatment. Cancers are often managed through the discussions on the multidisciplinary cancer conferences, where the medical oncologists, surgical oncologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists, radiologists, and organ-specific oncologists meet to find the best possible management for an individual patient considering the physical, social, psychological, emotional, and financial status of the patient. Though cancer diagnosis can cause distress and anxiety, clinicians use a number called SPIKES for delivering the news.
Oncology is the study of cancer. An oncologist is a doctor who treats cancer and provides medical care for a person diagnosed with cancer.
The field of oncology has three major areas: medical, surgical, and radiation.
- A medical oncologist treats cancer using chemotherapy or other medications, such as targeted therapy or immunotherapy.
- A surgical oncologist removes the tumor and nearby tissue during surgery. He or she also performs certain types of biopsies to help diagnose cancer.
- A radiation oncologist treats cancer using radiation therapy.
Other types of oncologists include:
- A gynecologic oncologist treats gynecologic cancers, such as uterine, ovarian, and cervical cancers.
- A pediatric oncologist treats cancer in children. Some types of cancer occur most often in children and teenagers. This includes certain brain tumors, leukemia, osteosarcoma, and Ewing’s sarcoma. Types of cancer more common in children sometimes also occur in adults. In these situations, an adult may decide to work with a pediatric oncologist.
- A hematologist-oncologist diagnoses and treats blood cancers, such as leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma.
Dr. Rajeev Bedi is one of the best cancer specialists and oncologists in India. Having an experience of 25 years in his field, he aims to heal the patient as fast as possible. He has done his DM from AIIMS and has 25 years of experience in Medical Oncology. He has undergone Advance Training in Hematology at Royal Marsden Hospital, London. His clinical interests are breast cancer, lung cancer, Gynecological cancer along with other fields. Dr. Rajeev Bedi and his team are among the best oncologists in India. He has expertise in the diagnosis of cancer and treating it well.